3/31/09

Sometimes days I just follow my heart

I love the spontaneous acts of heart. How to 
plan these events in your day--oh, boy!! I am
afraid I have become what I dreaded I would
become--too organized. I think I have
organized my heart right out of the picture
sometimes. I have become efficient, but have
lost some spark in my life. Tell me, how do you
alternate from being an efficient planner to
living by your heart? Truth is I guess, I had
to learn how to be spontaneous. In the beginning
I had to schedule my spontaneity and sometimes I
still do. When I catch myself being overly serious
too many days in a row, then I intentionally do
something a little bizarre so I can get back in
touch with the silly side of myself.

The moments I look back on in my life are not the
"perfect" days when I finished my to-do list, and
cleaned the entire house all on a timely schedule.
No, the days I love revisiting, the days that
gently tug on my heart are when I did something,
just because. If you turn on a bubble machine pretty
soon you'll be surrounded by people trying to catch
bubbles and have a wonderful story to remember.
Hula hoop in your driveway and a walker passing by
will ask if she can give it a try. "I haven't tried
a hula hoop since I was a little girl, would you mind?"

Put a table cloth on the floor and announce
to everyone that it's picnic night. Sometimes I try
scheduling play dates with myself. I learned this
from the book, "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.
Once I've spent enough time being lighthearted and
a little crazy, my heart goes on automatic pilot.
I don't have to think in advance about doing the
silly things in life anymore, because my heart will
know what that experience feels like, and it
will seize the opportunity to have fun whenever it can.

Thanks for listening to me. It's so good to share with
friends.

No comments: