11/2/10

The Artist and God's Presence

The reason I, as an artist, long to practice making God a part of my everyday is because I don’t want to miss a thing. I want as much of Him and His creativity as He will give me. I want Him to teach me how to be an artist. How to engage my senses like an artist. How to create redemption out of heart-breaking situations. I want to see my reality through His eyes. I want to learn from Him, constantly. I need Him to help me make sense of my art.
His presence reminds me that I have a gift and that I need to be using it. His presence makes it possible to continuously live and breathe art instead of just confining art to one or two hours of my day. His presence brings mystery, ignites wonder, gives me purpose and confidence and laughter. His presence gives my life meaning and my journey to self-understanding a wider scope.
As my friend Sue explained to me recently, as I seek to make sense of myself and where I fit in this world, I am following bread crumb clues. The bread crumb clues lead me to Him, and then just as I make it to Him, He’s off again. Like a child in a game of tag He teases me with His presence and then darts behind a tree, daring me with His action to come along and play.
I am an artist. I must make sense of my reality. For myself and hopefully for others. I’m collecting and exploring. I’m focusing. I’m getting lost in moment after moment. I am awaiting clarity. And then when it comes I’m communicating in the only way I know how, from my heart to another. Reality can not pass me by. I must be ever operating in a sense of wonder. I must be aware. I must be in communion with the Master Artist who sheds light on it all.
An artist who practices being in the presence of God will be inspired, transformed and used. In the light of that, I can’t afford not to practice being in His presence.

No comments: